The Browne Family
Castlemacgarretold was once the ancestral home of the Browne Family .When this house became unsafe, due to a large fire in 1694, Geoffrey Browne and his wife Mary Prendergast built the new house now known as Castlemacgarret Nursing Home. Large quantities of the beech trees planted by Geoffrey 300 years ago can still be seen around the old estate today. There are also traces of a watermill situated on the banks of the River Robe, near the main Galway road, which would have pumped water to Castlemacgarret New, which was built on an old stable courtyard. There was once an old tower house called Castlekeel which has since it ceased to exist but was once close to Castlemacgarret New.
Castlemacgarret Old, was built in the 13th century, it is situated on the banks of the River Robe, three and a half miles from the town of Claremorris. Near to it is Christina’s Bridge on which the inscription reads “This bridge was built in memory of Christina Lady Oranmore and Browne who died in May 1st 1887”.
Traces of an old summer house can also be seen on the banks of the River Robe, near to the watermill, near the new bridge on the Claremorris road. The summer house was situated purposely on the banks of the river, as one can imagine the days gone hence when the family would have sat and fished for the beautiful Browne trout that could be found in abundance in the river. Geoffrey Browne’s wife Mary was a descendant of Maurice de Prendergast whose father Gerald came to Ireland with Strongbow during the Norman invasion in 1170.Gerald died in 1251. Maurice was a most valiant Knight and a man of his word. The tribe name, Prendergast, was taken from Maurice Sugach as it was given in the Annals of Loch Ce 1335.McGarailt or McGarrett, was an alternative name, so they’ve been called Fitzgearlds.Share